I travel back and forth from Northern Virginia and Charlottesville, VA for work, just about every week. As much as I love NoVA, I have a soft spot in my heart for UVA and the wonderful city of Charlottesville. NoVA and DC might have a huge variety of restaurants, but Charlottesville has the QUALITY. Cville has hands down the best restaurants and food ever. One of my favorite lunch places is Revolutionary Soup. They have delicious soups, salads, and sandwiches, all made with local, fresh ingredients. My newest obsession has been the Adam's Apple Sandwich - AMAZING. They make it on sunflower wheat bread with turkey, bacon, chèvre, arugula, garlic aïoli, sliced apples, house made apple butter. I have ordered it every time with no bacon and it's wonderful. I loved it so much, in fact, that I instantly bought the ingredients to make it at home! Adding my own healthier (of course) spin, I've eaten it about 5 times in the past week - no lie! I've substituted fig preservers for the apple butter, largely inspired by yet another delicious Charlottesville lunch spot - Feast!
Here is my version of the recipe:
[Amanda's] Adams Apple Sandwich
- Nature Valley Whole Wheat Bread, 2 slices
- 6 slices deli Turkey
- 1/4 Granny Smith Apple, sliced thin
- 1 TBS Fig Preserves
- Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb Cheese (Laughing cow is my new healthy cheese obsession, but that's a blog post for another day!)
- Arugala (I LOVE arugala)
- Cooking Spray
- Spread the fig preservers on one piece of bread.
- Layer the apples, turkey, and arugala on top.
- Cover the other piece of bread with the laughing cow cheese and sandwich the ingredients.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Grill the sandwich on each side until each side is a nice golden color.